The Middle East Librarians Association, at its 1999 annual meeting, approved the awarding of the George Atiyeh Prize to a student currently enrolled in an ALA-accredited program of library and information science. The George Atiyeh Prize Committee is composed of the two immediate MELA past presidents, who are charged with soliciting and reviewing applications.
1. The Committee will solicit applications by sending an announcement of the Prize with application procedures to all ALA-accredited programs no later than September 1 each year. The announcement may be either or both electronic or print, and will also be posted to the MELA Web Site and the MELA Notes Web Site.
2. Applications should be returned to the Committee no later than October 1. Applications will be submitted electronically to both members of the Committee.
3. Applications will include the following:
a. Name, postal address, phone number, e-mail address, and name of program in which currently enrolled
b. Transcript of the applicant’s most recently completed degree
c. Description of the applicant’s academic, work-related or other background in Middle East studies and/or librarianship
d. Statement of the applicant’s career goals, including a description of his/her course of study
e. Statement of why the applicant wants to attend MELA/MESA
f. Names, postal addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses of two references
4. The Committee will rank the applications based upon the information in the application and in the references.
5. The Committee will consult with the MELA Executive Committee on the number and amount of Prizes to be awarded. Assuming qualified applicants, at least one Prize will be awarded in the amount of $250.00; in addition, any registration fees for MELA and MESA will also be paid by MELA. (Note: MESA pre-registration normally closes approximately one month before the conference; therefore, the Committee will complete its work and notify successful applicants before this deadline so that the awardee(s) can take advantage of the reduced registration rate.)
6. Awardee(s) will be notified by e-mail and by written letter of their award; in addition, the Committee will send a written letter to the Dean of the program in which the awardee(s) is currently enrolled, announcing the Prize. Each awardee must return a written statement that they agree to:
a. attend MELA and MESA in their entirety (exceptions will be granted only by the Committee)
b. allow their names and pictures to be used in any publicity by MELA or any organization which MELA contacts regarding the Prize
c. write a report immediately after the conference for publication in MELA Notes reporting on their conference experience
7. The Committee will announce the name(s) of the awardee(s) as soon as confirmation of Prize acceptance has been received, and will direct the Secretary/Treasurer to send checks as quickly as possible.
8. The Committee will solicit volunteers from amongst the MELA membership who will be attending the annual conference to host the awardee(s) at meals and other social events during the conference.
9. Awardee(s) will be recognized at the MELA conference and business meeting. They should also be encouraged to attend MEMP meetings and any other meetings being held during the conference period that relate to libraries, archives, etc. (e.g., RLG, OCLC).